Sunday 9 May 2021

Hells bells and buckets of blood will this wind ever cease?

 Early the next morning David was up, untying the ropes and going through the Braunston tunnel to avoid any oncoming boats.  We've done this tunnel many times and have met boats but with the "Dog-Leg" bend half way along if you can pick a quiet time then its saves on the nerves.


Out the other side, initially all was calm then as you go further along the trees lessen and the wind picks up.  We ideally wanted to reverse up the Leicester Arm or moor above the Buckby Locks.  The moorings have been improved all along this section, it used to shallow and concrete, now its armco.  We pulled in while David ran along the towpath to see if there were any spaces.  He clipped WaL to the armco at the stern and I held on for dear life on the middle rope while it blew a hooley, guess what Reader, it was freezing too.

During this hanging on for dear life episode a lady walked past me her coat was flapping in the gale and she did have a woolly hat on.... I said to her "Only mad people have to be out in this"  but she replied "Oh I like weather!!!!!" I could only laugh at this response.  No photos, no hands free.


Well in the gale it was impossible to reverse up the junction, we'll sort that one out later.


Home for a couple of days to see my mum and buy her some bananas.


Breakfast was porridge with a large spoonful of raspberry jam.    

2 comments:

  1. I’m just catching up with your blog Lisa. My Mum and your Mum are on the same game with the bananas. Boating when it’s windy makes me grumpy. I don’t even get on my broomstick if it’s blowy 😉🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its been a very trying time has it not? This endless wind is horrid.

      Delete