Monday 15 July 2024

So we left Swarkeston the next morning, hardly any boats if one had passed us at all,  we liked the openness, the emptiness and the water and rubbish point!

The run along towards Burton was very pleasant even if a tad overgrown with bushes, not much to see.
  
We had the last of the big double locks coming up which can be troublesome I know, it was praying on my mind a little.

I couldn't see this one yesterday but here are the lovelies Theresa and Andy

The lovely sunset at Swarkestone that night.

The last of the yellow Flag Irises.

I do love a good sunset.

Moving along from Swarkestone this lane hugs the canal for a good stretch, I would definitely be twitchy .....


We arrived at Stenson Lock, going our way it is the last of the double locks and it is a deep one.  All sorts of horror stories on the forums and social media about boats getting stuck, civilians falling in and major bumps.  The gates weighed a ton, I asked a passing dog walking man if he wouldn't mind helping me with the gates but it turned out his back was far worse than mine, he was seeing a surgeon too so obviously I wouldn't let him touch it.  It took a while but  I did get it closed.    









I let the water in one turn by one turn of the windlass

It was held beautifully in place (Thank you Adam for the tip when we saw you) highly successful lock tackled without any bumps or scrapes to WaL. 


Not many people in the cafe, and even less watching us.

Not completely sure now what David was doing with this rope after the gate was opened but I'm sure it was vital.



Now seeing that this is my blog and it reflects my personal views and not that of anyone else, I have to tell you Reader that I think that this is the Mother of All Ugly Boats.  David says I must stop photographing all the ugly wide beams but Gee Whilickers this one takes the biscuit, in my view Reader and I hope you don't own it.

Oh god here's another.




On arriving at Willington, our destination it was busy, busy with both boats, dog walkers and families all walking and generally milling about.  We took the first mooring available and some distance down the tow path.  I was mystified as to why although it was a warm sunny Saturday.

We walked along to the canalside pub for a drink.  The pub and gardens were heaving, luckily we got a wee table in the sunshine for two.  It was too busy for us so after the one drink we walked to the Co-Op for milk and eggs.   There are several pubs in Willington all were heaving with patrons spilling out onto the pavements

On the way back to WaL I asked a man walking a dog if this was a typical Saturday and he explained that he was on the committee for organising the Raft Race today on the river Trent (Not the canal) and that several times a year the village hosts these sort of events for their community.  So well done Willington.  It was a bit like a carnival.

Back on WaL we had drinks in the quiet sunshine, a nap and supper was warm egg salad with grated cheese using up the remnants of the fridge.

The next day we were in for a treat. Our good friends John and Louise who reside in this general area were coming to collect us for Sunday Lunch at their home.  The arrangements were a tad complex, we drove our car to Barton Marina just a wee bit along the canal.  Its a sister marina now to our home of Great Haywood marina and by agreement we can moor there.  So Louise kindly collected us from the vast complex that is Barton Marina with shops restaurants and the like.  We had the most lovely day with them finishing off by playing cards too and then a taxi back to Willington.  So the next day we only had to pop WaL along moor up, load the car and drive home.  Sounds quick and easy doesn't it?  Two hours later.....






Thank you to Louise for sending this photo and reminding me of it, so you can see how young and glamorous we all are.

Thank you for such a splendid day with delicious food and well your gorgeous selves.
Until we meet again.


The next morning pretty early we pulled the pins and departed Willington.  I really liked the village and I really liked this cottage David if it ever comes up on the open market.....just saying.



Oh yes please.

Just what I learnt to drive in, not many about these days.




A bridge on the narrow side.


  My word what a place.  It's old I am presume it was built somehow linked to the canal, but what a place.

Into Barton Marina and home for a while, see my mother, go boating in France and see my family.

If you are a perfectionist, go now and read the French Holiday post.

More of me later. 
   








 


5 comments:

  1. You’re right about those wide beams, horrible things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anonymous, If you'd care to sign in and leave your name anytime.....
      From the bottom of the River Soar to Willington there were masses of the things, nice to live on in a Marina me thinks. Maybe when I'm Prime Minister I'll bring in a law.

      Delete
  2. Agreed. They are hideous.
    SAM
    NB 'Red Wharf'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings Sam,
      I do speak with a forked tongue as several years ago we entered into a boat swap with George and Carol on their widebeam on the Thames and it was glorious. However theirs was so beautifully designed she was wonderful, but these shockers look like rectangular bricks, so very unattractive.

      Lisa

      Delete
  3. Totally hideous. There are a couple on the GU South as you head into Braunston. Should be banned from Canals.

    ReplyDelete