Wednesday 10 July 2024

Out of the Soar and onto the Trent

The next day we left Loughborough.  We had moored on our own fairly centrally to make it easy for Geoff to collect us.  Last evening our locking buddies of yesterday had moored up before Loughborough in the countryside.  
As we got on deck to untie the ropes they came into view around a corner so we joined forces again.

Now be patient Reader, with the passing of time and as I'm currently at home without the benefit of the guide book, plus blogger suffering from a shortage of signal here as all the country is watching Engerland v Netherlands as I type, the photos have uploaded all to cock.  I will do my best but the photos really are telling the story.

Loughborough was pleasant enough from what could be seen of it, but we only cruised through without stopping that day.  No other boats around needless to say.

Geoff had told us of a couple of nice places to moor up on winding bends of the river, peaceful that David and I may have spent a day or so on but in the event we tried both but due to the flooding earlier in the year the bends were very shallow, we thought full of silt, so on we went with NB Gwelo.

One of the last locks of river Soar there was a nice boat already in the lock ascending, the crew closed the lower gates behind them and we chatted.  The boat was only one year old, gleaming and it had been into the local boatyard for some snagging to be completed.  The lady crew approached the paddle and just wound it straight up before their new boat was straight or roped.  I was a tad surprised as it went out of control from side to side but it did narrowly avoid the brick walls of the lock.
She then said for me to "Put my paddle up, yes right up" as the boat was still going from side to side.  
I inched the paddle up.  
They left the lock and WaL entered but NB Gwelo was grounded.  It was only a couple of feet away from WaL but well and truly stuck.
Second attempt WaL managed to heave NB Gwelo out of the mud.








Wall to wall wide beams.  May they exactly as so.

I believe this is Normanton....

It had a air of the Thames with gardens coming right down to the river.



Oh look at this....



Answers on a postcard, or at the bottom of this post.


Ummmmmm...




This is the last lock out of Loughborough.  It's a waterpoint with very short landing, both boats needed water so we had to breast up


This little beauty was at the bottom of someone's garden, I took a quick shot just in case it was an historical wee ship.  It's not a Dunkirk boat but I did "Steal" this shot of Lady Myrtle form Henley Boat Sales but no price.  I do hope she is being looked after, these vintage wooden boats can cost more than a house.



Bit of green here




Oh my word What a Stunner, 




I'm thinking this is Normanton?  It was the view for me of the entire River Soar.









I'd accept this house if I was given it.



Small tree growing out of this lock gate.  Too big for me to pull out.




A landmark but not of the picturesque variety.

A nice sight.  A lock taking us onto the Trent and Mersey canal, it was manned by a cheery volunteer, who also told us all about the pubs in Shardlow.
We had a lovely evening at The New Inn in Shardlow with Theresa and Andy and I hope we will meet up with them again sometime.



The next morning we had a very pleasant run up to Swarkstone where we finally said our goodbyes to NB Gwelo's Theresa and Andy, they had been great company for the past days, they had massively helped me too.



*So that bridge is the one WaL is coming under in the blogs title page.  
That photo was taken by Lesley (NB Yarwood) years ago possibly before I ever blogged when we travelled this way with our daughter Verity.  Lesley and I walked miles that day and she snapped WaL.  Today I would never travel with the cratch sides up lest a leaky lock soaks my cushions, but back then I knew nothing of such things.
 

1 comment:

  1. That was my favourite house too! We loved the Soar although some of the locks can be b******s. GoWindlass was used!

    ReplyDelete