Thursday 18 July 2024

It was that man again....

 So it's been a while since we tied up WaL in Barton Marina, due to a bit of a hectic time at home we extended the stay for a few days more.  
I'm glad to say we found the marina by road, not always an easy task, just ask David when he drove from the top of the Tardibigge Flight to meet Amanda who was at Kings Orchard Marina well north of Tamworth.  She was waiting for him to collect her, he was riding around looking for it and having a complete sense of humour failure I was on WaL at Tardibigge 40 miles away when he called me in a state of fury.  Luckily at that time I too had an iPhone and had set up sharing location, I was able to direct him.  Amanda cheered him up nicely before they reached me again.

So off we went, it was in the afternoon, Wimbledon was warming up nicely I wanted the young Italian and the young Spanish guy both to win.

We really only wanted good TV reception via the internet to watch the end of the first match and the whole of the second.  Alrewas was thought to be the place to be....

Reversing out of the pontoon.



The A38 is close-by to the canal here, bit noisy....




Very close!


Bridge 42, this wee bridge opens out onto the A38, this was a Friday afternoon when traffic was whizzing along and this caravan pulled out onto that road, I was quaking in my boots for their personal safety but they did it without a major pileup.  Rather them than me for sure.



This is the short but attractive river section of the river Trent here at Alrewas, when we got off the river at the lock a boat was in the lock, the lady crew said that people seem to be mooring up at 3pm these days, they were setting off for Mercia Marina quite some miles away, past Willington village.  I hardly liked to tell her that our style is to start early and definitely finish early.  But kindly she explained where their mooring had been in the village, we pootled along to the spot only to see that the boat we had been following had zipped in there already.

We carried on looking at snails pace but the village was completely full.  We went through lock 13 and moored up just past a noisy road bridge but that was fine, as we tidied the deck several more boats arrived and moored up too behind and in front of us.


River section looking all rivery.



It looked all calm but there was a tidy pull on the flow, nothing life endangering.

Like a mill pond.

Oh my will you just look at that!

 
We didn't have time to explore Alrewas, the tennis was disappointing as that man won again, you know the one I mean, the one I can't stand.  


Supper was delicious, Keralan creamy curry with salmon, not quite as outstanding as that restaurant in Leicester but bliming good. 
Ladies finals tomorrow.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment