Thursday 13 August 2020

Lazy days and good books.

So the next few days were spent mostly..... well not doing much, I considered it a bit of a holiday.  There was sun (sitting in it), blue skies, some roof washing and cleaning those delightful solar panels.
On the stretch where we were, the views were lovely and it seemed silly to rush anywhere.

We did though go on a bit of a walk, over the hills and not too far away, but snooping at farms and crops played a part.

A footpath started from pretty close to WaL, so we followed it going towards Newton Burgoland.  The day was pretty hot already so we carried a litre of water which was all used up before we got back to WaL.  The first disappointment was to find several loads of rubbish that has been fly tipped into the hedges up this lane/track.  An old fridge, clothing and building materials, it all pointed to a house clearance that and people who just dump this on the way home.
Such a sad sight. 

There was a choice of lanes but we wanted to keep on the paths across the fields.


Wheat coming along but not ready yet.


We were on the lookout for the path as it crossed over a road, sounds easy but in this immediate part of Leicestershire, they like to hide the yellow topped posts as much as possible.
The path took us into a recently grazed paddock, but the path was to the side with an electric wire either to keep the walkers kettled or to protect the animals, but the result is that without the animals to graze up to the hedge, the brambles and nettles grow unchecked.  We saw this on several different farms so can only assume its the council but I could be wrong, the farmers are losing over 10ft of field.  The stingers were so high we had to walk in the field, past these cows...
Now if you look one or two have turned their heads, before long several more had then out of boredom they skipped off after us.
David said "Don't worry darling they are only youngsters" 
Now Reader I have to tell you, I trust implicitly in all matters EXCEPT crossing fields with cattle.  This goes back to one Boxing day many years ago, we were hosting a big family Christmas and in addition had a few friends with children as well as his own offspring.  We walked and at the top of the farm with lovely views for miles all around, then I heard a bellowing that goes through your heart and soul and bladder, I looked up to see a bull, a young bull given but one that was stamping, bellowing and pawing the ground looking directly at all of us
David there's a bloody bull....
"I know keep walking"
 That memory has stayed with me as any mother will understand.


I bolted pretty soon after taking this shot... I was convinced they were not heifers.

Trying to locate the next path.

Sloes.  Big fat whoopers this year.  


 Well the pub at Newton Burgoland was closed, closed until 3:15pm which in this heat was a bit of a bummer.  On we went with now pretty warm water.


Back at the boat we sat in the shade reading.  I just discovered Jane Harper who wrote The Dry.  I'm now on her second book and David is on the first.  We are both so hooked that we sat and read in silence!.


This is to try to illustrate the secluded mooring, not D's legs.


Supper was halloumi and salad.

6 comments:

  1. Lisa you bring back memories of a walk I made up the dry end of the canal to the road before going left and then in Measham where there was a Tesco (Jan's weekly magazine fix)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tom,
      We didn't go that way, the nice local lady had said that Measham wasn't much, her words not mine. The countryside all around though is quite lovely.
      Hot at yours?
      Regards,
      Lisa

      Delete
  2. Glorious weather for England!! Nice legs too David! Lisa, glad to know you survived the coos. Being a Yank form Alaska, I had no idea cows were so dangerous. I remember reading somewhere that more Brits are killed crossing fields, by cows, than by some other unprovidential accident. It stopped me in my tracks. Growing up with Grizzlies, black bears, and moose on my doorstep, I had never considered that barnyard animals could be deadly!
    stay safe, stay well,

    Love to you both,
    Jaq xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jaq,
      I only just saw your comment. Frankly I will never forget the day in that field with that bull, I suppose I have almost forgiven him, almost.

      Delete
  3. Hi Lisa,
    2020. The year of fire, flood, plague.... Just waiting on famine :-) Tail end of winter here. The recent rains means there will probably be a bumper crop in the wheatbelt this season. I hope to get north in 4-5 weeks for the annual wild flower season.
    Oh, the lady is right. Not much at Measham, although Jan did buy a replica piece of Measham pottery, which I find particularly ugly. It now has pride of place in the glass cabinet where it glares at me every evening! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tom,
    I'm with you on Measham pottery, I much prefer Moorecroft pottery, I have a small collection. I really wanted to visit the factory in Stoke some years ago but it was closed on that day, typically.
    Wild flower season sounds fabulous, I shall follow and learn.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete