Wednesday, 7 October 2026

Cookley and a cave

I'm so sorry Reader for my absence but I will explain later, but for now I will resume where I left off that is to say after a couple of nights at the previously named "Wide Bend", just short of Hyde Lock and Kinver.

Not many of these about these days.  For my new Reader in Alaska its a letterbox, built into a wall, but the V.R. means Victoria Regina so it dates from her reign that is 1832 to 1901, pretty old.  I took this in Cookley I think it was near to The Anchor pub with the cobs yesterday.



David leaving The Wide Bend, I walked along to Hyde lock which was just around the bend.

Just around that bend in fact.  I always hope to see deer here but have never done so.

Lots and lots and lots of these on the boat roof this am, but that's autumn for you and a breeze.

Hyde Lock.  The view is one of David's favourites on the system although far more impressive on a sunny day.

He's looking a trifle chilly down there.

Such a pleasant day as we headed southwards, a lovely September that brings out the "Cotton Tops" after the children have gone back to school.  Did I tell you Reader that in New Zealand it was cold?  I was told that this was (July I mean) is their coldest part of winter  and when I was there it was the coldest part of winter.  One morning I had had to have scrapped the windscreen before driving and frankly Reader I hadn't had to do that in the whole of last UK winter where we live.  
I'd had cold feet for the six weeks.
So when I returned David had promised me that the good weather was staying and he was right, I had also requested a sunbed and being served with G&T's but that bit wasn't forthcoming.

The view below was what we had come down this canal in search of.  The Staffs to Worcester is in our opinion a great treasure, rolling hills, wooded in places, open views and nice pubs.


I think this is reminiscent of the Dordogne. 

A sharp bend here, almost a horseshoe bend, but this hire boat was well experienced and reversed onto a straighter section and allowed us to pass.

Cookley and Cookley tunnel.  A James Brindley creation dating from 1770.  David and I have cycled past up there and cute little cottages they are from the road.  




.....but those gardens are not for me, can you imagine pegging out the washing and losing yer balance?








 Now that photo above was taken at Debdale Lock.  This cave is described on Google as an artificial cave, 9m x 3m used for storage  and stabling horses used  for towing narrow boats. 
But it's not on the towpath side for access meaning horses would have to cross the lock gates....  Now I wasn't around back then and perhaps some dainty horses could pirouette over the lock gates but I remain a doubter.

Anyone out there know better?


We stopped at Wolverley and moored up enjoying the last of the sunshine before the sun went below the trees.  

Supper was fishcakes and wedges. 

No comments:

Post a Comment