The next day after David had fetched the car, we did a quick flit into Kidderminster for food shopping and a bit of a snoop in M&S. It was only as we arrived in the car part of the retail park which is situated next to the canal that it dawned on me it that it was a Saturday.... Jammed packed.
David kept muttering things like "What are all these people doing here?" and "Haven't they got better things to do?" Now I am of the firm belief that and shopping trip is much happier without taking men with you and I'm always staggered that women chose to do just that! But on this occasion as it involved food I did and do take David and moreover usually he goes alone. Well I pointed him in the direction of the Food Hall of M&S, I knew he'd be happy there.
He wanted something for his bike and had googled Halfords, but the branch was 11 minutes walk away and he couldn't face that with "All these people" so he decided there and then he'd take the bike to his shop 200 miles away when he was home again.
We left Kidderminster and headed not back for Wolverley but to Bewdley. It's located on the river Severn, it's full of period houses and mores the pity traffic. But we parked in a car park on the outskirts and walked into the town along the river. We stopped at a cafe overlooking the river for a coffee, plenty of people about on this sunny day and I sat facing an extended family who although there were several children the adults were properly distracted. Then a shout and a cry as the adults ran down a few steps to the railings where said children including the youngest who looked about three years old had clambered onto the railings and indeed the other side of the railings and were hanging literally over the river. For those of you unfamiliar it's a might river with a fierce flow and deep, at least due to the drought the river was far shallower and slower flowing but another example of modern parenting that my nerves couldn't take so we departed promtly.
![]() |
| The lovely bridge at Bewdley, the river Severn and those railings. |
![]() |
| Wooden framed houses, Tudor for sure. |
![]() |
| I'd call this a back passage and a horrible example of a modern door. |
![]() |
| A bride that day. |
After a nice walk admiring the old buildings and a smidge of shopping (Christmas shopping!) we departed and returned to Wolverley, staggering along with the food shopping.
We'd had to park the car some tidy distance away from the canal, pub and moorings in "Old Wolverley" as now the new landlords of the pub have restricted the parking. It's a really big car park and I think a bit anti social of them as many people parked and walked from here.
We sat in the sun of the pub's garden and watched one boat come through the lock, being Gongoozlers for a turn..... making judgements and the like.
Sad to say the pub had a wedding party on and the kitchens were closed that afternoon until 7pm earliest, I was hungry so after a couple of drinks in the sun we wandered back to WaL.
![]() |
| The one boat came into the lock as we sat there. |
![]() |
| I sent David out to Lindahand for the crew who looked hot and bothered. It's a bit of a walk back from this side to access the tow path again and join your boat. |
![]() |
| The empty-ish car park at Wolverley Lock Pub and an old mini, I learnt to drive in a lime green one my mum had at the time, more years ago than I care to admit here.... |
Aperitifs with a salmon, pasta and cheese dish to enjoy in the cratch.










No comments:
Post a Comment