Wednesday, 2 September 2015

Send to Weybridge.

We left Send after picking another whole pot full of blackberries, David had brought more bramleys "Just in case".
I wonder if people are too posh to pick free food these days in this area anyway, plenty of people past us and said hello but none said Oh look there's loads I will go get a dish too.

David had cycled to the Basingstoke canal, he did a section near Woking of about eight miles.  For us I am not sure it is the most ideal canal being so overgrown with trees, he called it just a green tunnel, but some folks may think this is heaven.

We left Send about midday and headed towards Weybridge. 

A nice river mooring on our own a metre from hard surface.

First lock of the day.

I did laugh inwardly at this lock, out of shot were two boats ahead of us.  Reader what you may not know about the River Wey is that, is that you are invited, nay instructed!  to leave the gates open when departing the locks.  

Now I know there are people on forums and other social networking sites who have a lot to say about gates being left open, others who take the view that in the days of working boats the lock gates were always left open after use and lets do it now sort of argument.  I have to declare that I have really enjoyed leaving gates open for a change.  It does not vex me either when you get to a lock and it needs both gates closing and filling.  So when we got to this lock following these two boats, one boat had four crew members and the other had about six, so on the lock landing were about eight or seven people waiting to re-board their boats, but not one person offered to help me close the gates even though the drivers took ages to get out and get onto the lock landing with much faffing and revving going on.
Much smirking on my part.

Back out onto these most pleasant moorings on the NT meadows here.  The section here is all river and you could feel the flow it a bit more.  

David did a great job of getting around the corners, well until the last one, here the rivers flows off to the left towards an unseen weir, I heard the utterance "Oh bugger!".....

then saw us going sideways off the intended path, quick recovery after a bit of that afore mentioned revving and blustering.

View back of the meadows

That nice Abbey again, Newark.

I thought the river looked higher than on our trip down but the path wasn't covered or anything.

So above is that water point I was telling you about a few days ago.  These are the lock gates on the right, on the left you have the long term mooring and the rickety wooden fence to moor against.  The tap?  There it is, on the right with a white top on it.  Totally daft position, which is why we filled in the lock, wish they had of asked me first.

A fine historical date for my new Reader in NZ, Kay that's you.

Another blue sky photo of this iconic mill.  There really haven't been a lot of blue skies about this summer.  The water below the lock was very very well behaved in this direction.

I don't often see herons actually in the water, if I had of been a wee bit quicker you would have seen him floating on the top too.

Moored up here.  The lock keeper had previously said that this is a really busy road, however we didn't find it so and to get an open mooring you have had to have moored up five miles or so before.

Supper was cod with a thick coating of peas, mint and 
  and french beans with more blackberry and apple & cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment