Friday 7 May 2021

Making progress and Brownies.

 Yesterday after we left Brinklow the sun continued to shine all along the pretty bits of the canal, even through Rugby!

A few more boats around too both private and hirers.   We had a little way to go to meet the next group of visitors, our very own Boat Sharers Amanda and David, if you are not sure who they are and want to know I refer you to my very first blog posting, yes they were there....

Actually they had been visiting their own boat where it is under going a refitting, it wasn't too far away so they nipped to join us.

We met at Hilmorton Locks.  It all is looking rather different now than what it was a few years ago with the new road bridge, later on I was to drive over it, plus the best part were the new improved moorings all the way along the canal below the locks.  We saw a WaL sized spot and pulled in to wait for the Intrepid pair.

 Enough time for David to wash one side of the boat and me to follow rinsing and wiping then one side of the windows.  Usually I take out the panes of glass and wash them in warm water in the sink and wash all round the port holes, this as yet hasn't happened and maybe it will one day soon.  
Maybe. 
Well it is nice to be able to see out again.

The Lewis's arrived baring gifts in the form of lunch but first the great car swappy game.  This involved me as a passenger with Mr Lewis, going to retrieve our car from a place I had never been to by road, namely Brinklow Marina, and bringing it back to bridge 76, another place I have never been to.  David's idea was for me to photograph the tiny snippet of map in the Nicholson Canal Guide Book, there you are!

Two David's, (Mine is in blue)

Amanda where she loves to be, Lock wheeling.  We could only rustle up the three Hilmorton Locks for her today, she would likely prefer the Hatton Flight of 22 whoppers or so.



Todays Pretties, Cowslips, these grow down our way on the chalk of the South Downs.

First widebeam on the North Oxford Canal I've ever seen.



So David Lewis and I walked back to his car and set off with two phones and his very sophisticated Sat Nav, then I noticed that my phone was on 13% of battery and using Googlemaps drinks battery so it all looked bad before the car engine even started.  I mean what could possibly go wrong?

Well we got there beautifully driven by Sterling Moss who takes corners on two wheels and I keep my eyes shut.

We arrived at Brinklow, aided and abetted by Del from NB Derwent6 who opened and then relocked the gates behind us as we departed again.

Well back to Hilmorton, then think and a bit of guessing.  
My phone was almost dead but we made it to the bridge to find that the bloody boat had sailed on past and gone to bridge 78 whereas we were standing like two lemons on bridge 76...

Well we did eventually locate WaL, but I shan't be doing the car jiggle again.

Lunch was hearty soup, french sticks, cheeses, crisps and dips and a batch of the softest, stickiest and most delicious Brownies in the history of my cake eating.  All by the fair hands of Amanda.

Mr Lewis spent a considerable amount of time down our engine hole in the afternoon replacing some cables, then all too suddenly it was time for them to go home, but time gets closer and closer to them having their own boat out on the cut and hopefully some joint adventures.

I found my camera now so here are a few snaps of the past few days;



A fairly long NB winding without the aid of a winding hole (Turny about place), we thought them brave to have put their prop into the reeds and mud, a bit of backwards, forwards and barge pole work and they did make it.




WaL on the lovely Atherstone flight of locks.

Caroline and Ray whom we meet again unexpectedly.



Some kind person is tending these primulas, I think its the Volunteer Lockkies.

105 years old, I know you shouldn't leave a windless in the paddle but this one was already wound down.


New Marina here at Mancetter on the Coventry Canal, beautiful setting.

Very scenic all through this section of the Coventry. 


I'm sure there are fewer china valves/cups/thingies here than last year.

Coming past the old pumping station at Hawkesbury Junction, where boaters have to make a hairpin turn onto the North Oxford canal.




Waiting for the first time for boats to queue at my favourite ever pub, The Greyhound, we'll pass this time for the first time ever and fingers crossed visit later in the year.

 











 


2 comments:

  1. Three locks was better than none! Glad you liked the brownies. saved me eating too many more of them x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bring them any time.....

    ReplyDelete