Tuesday 25 June 2019

Are we nearly there yet?

Well we had to move this morning.  It was due to rain again but even so, we had to move to get to where we had left the cars so we had to move rain or no.  

Wet weather kit was donned by all, I had decided to wear shorts instead of waterproof trousers. I had got very cold in Birmingham that afternoon in soaking trousers plus I thought I'd get hot doing locks.
Surprisingly by the end of the day I had met three other women in shorts in the rain.


Our mooring last night at Merry Hill.

It wasn't long before Birthday Boy put his coat on.

And away we went.  Anyone ever done locks with three crews?  Its a breeze.  The Delph Flight first, no other boats in sight.


Happy woman doing locks all day.

I have to say I've seen discarded beams on lock sides in a better condition than this one.

The old stabling on the towpath.

WaL emerging.

David L being the Birthday Boy got to choose which job he did.

Plenty of water available.

I've not seen many Herons in trees, evidently they breed in trees, anyone ever seen a nest?

He was watching me.

Well we reached to bottom of the flight in pretty quick time and carried on, it's a bit dull but peering in people's gardens is a most amusing  way to spend time.
Coffees and snacks we had and then around a corner all of a sudden was the next flight, The Stourbridge Flight.  
Initially the locks are spaced out, I went ahead and prepped and left David and Amanda to work the boat down.

Just as before we whizzed along making light work of it.

Started to rain.....  

Now as we started this morning there was plenty of water going past in the by-washes, down here there was even more....  When I saw this By-wash I was concerned enough to walk back and let David Lewis see it before coming out of the lock.  As I waited to watch the heavens opened and I sheltered under a tree....



Pretty good flow going over the grass too on this By-wash.

Powerful flow but when WaL actually came out of the lock the flow was back inside the brick boundary.

I was right to have been concerned, a family of Moorhens were washed away right down the pound!

Then as quickly as it started, it stopped.  I wouldn't say that it was warmer.....

This, from what I can make out, it the last Bottle Kiln in Stourbridge.  Donkey's years ago we visited the then working Webb Corbett factory, we being my mother and myself.  
I was married so it was OMG 38 years ago!!!!!!  

We watched the men blow the glass.  They worked in small teams, with each team member having a particular job to perform for the glass blower to make the item.  I've always loved crystal and have a nice collection.  

Last year I was in my local charity shop just wanting some  liqueur  glasses and was delighted but horrified to find my pattern, that is "Regency" by Webb Corbett liqueur glasses.  This means that no body wants these glasses any more.  This amazing skill is lost in this country as no longer produced in the UK, but worse, not desired by this generation of homeowners.


Nearing the bottom of the flight, the ground had dried.


Rope marks on the beautiful old curved bricks

A visitors centre here, makes a very interesting visit.








So we finished the flight and carried on towards the junction between the Staffs to Worcester canal and the Stourbridge canal.  
We passed this;  






Question:  When does a vintage hull in need of restoration become a wreck?

It was about 2pm now.  We passed some fabulous moorings, but asked the Birthday Boy, what he wanted to do.  
"Oh we'll carry on won't we?"

Of course we did.  These Boat Sharers do miles and miles and miles when left to their own devices.

David Lewis's car was at Wolverley, so the aim was to go there.  When we got there the moorings were all surprisingly taken, so we went through the lock with the idea of winding (Turning around) at Kidderminster return and moor up below Wolverley lock on the other visitor moorings. 

First winding hole was impossible, the second was tried but it was two foot short of WaL's requirements.  The third was passed by, the fourth was attempted but at Falling Sands lock the space was so very shallow, so the final one before the basin at Stourport was attempted...

I think this was me up on the Delph Flight.


David Darling mending the horn.

Yep way too long for this winding hole at Kidderminster.




Finally we succeeded and retraced our steps back to Wolverely.  It was about 7pm so that was FIVE HOURS more than when David&I had seen a nice mooring.
That's Boat Sharers for you.





I cooked salmon and salad for supper (Well I opened packets) and then Key Lime pie.

We jumped into their car and they drove us back to Alvechurch to collect our car,  we called in on Marilyn and David for tea.  David has his surgery soon.  We wished him well and departed for WaL and bed.

  

2 comments:

  1. I would always choose shorts in the rain over wet weather gear. In the Guides I was told it's easier to dry wet legs than to dry wet trousers!
    Love the blog :)
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Alison,
      I am an Ex Brown Owl!! Although I don't think I remember being told that there. Normally if it rains we moor up, but on days like this, we had to move and each of us had different clothing ideas.
      Thank you for your nice comment, I like to hear from my Reader.
      Lisa

      Delete