Saturday 12 May 2018

The Holiday is over.

I am glad to be here returning to duty Reader.  We had a great time in Devon with all the family, we are a very friendly bunch which is just as well when all eight of us got in the hot tub together.
Copious amounts of gin were enjoyed and not just by me, I don't know how but it appears I have raised three gin loving daughters.  The first cocktails were served at 10:55 one of the days, anyway moving on....




David competing in a tournament of Skimming Stones with sons-in-law.


The view from the house we rented.


So we collected WaL from the marina at Wigrams Turn on the GU canal after lunch and after driving back from Devon.  I drove and although I felt fine as soon as we arrived I felt very very tired and slept the whole way to our mooring that night, David skipped the car there too and in the evening we met Boaty Chums John and Louise from NB Ploddin' Along (Who are lapsed bloggers).  
We went  HERE   to The Rose at Willoughby, which is a stones throw from Braunston if you are thereabouts.


I could have done with my selfie stick here.
 

Supper for me was scollops followed by veggie Moroccan tagine and peach crumble, oh my.

The next day was a bit slothful in character although I did polish all the chrome mushroom vents on the roof.  Frankly they didn't look much different to pre polishing, but they are done anyway.  Yonks ago another boat owner we chatted to at Fradley junction in a new boat called NB Meriel advised smearing oil onto them in the autumn which we have done each winter and it seems to have done some good.  I did the portholes on one side too but now typing this I can't remember if I did the other side after we cruised for 40 minutes to the Winding Hole (Otherwise known on this boat as a turny round place).  45 minutes back again found us in the same spot.  We moored up in the sunshine, congratulated ourselves on a excellent days cruising and relaxed in the sun.

A farmer in a truck on the other side of the canal struck up conversation with David (Or started shouting at him, take your choice) and told us of Lapwings that had nested in his field.  I was thrilled as I had spotted them the evening before. He was a charming chap (Aren't all farmers?) and invited us to go see them for ourselves.  Four chicks or rather four tennis balls of fluff hopped across the furrows but I couldn't get a shot of them.  Lapwings are unseen where I come from so much excitement from me.


Tell tale fluffy wings

A Wagtail which confused matters


Beautiful birds, but you can see how hard it was to spot the babies.

This nice farmer had created a pond and put up an owl box, no owls as yet.

On a side issue, tell me, are we on the North Oxford Canal here (North of Wigrams Turn) or the GU?   


Because this was on the bridge we used to go see the Lapwings.



Supper was BLT's, mine was without the bread with extra avocado and tomatoes.






5 comments:

  1. Nice to have you back that Devon beach looks fab where was that? As we’ve booked Woolacombe for July.
    Cheers
    Ade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ade,
      Yes this was Woolacoombe! Fabulous. You are in for a treat if you haven't ever been there, we hadn't. The sea was so cold it took my breath away when I paddled but son-in-law had winter wet suit on for surfing.
      Do you know that on Friday nights at Barricane Beach there is a wee cafe that serves Sri Lankan curry which was great.
      You'll have a wonderful time.

      Lisa

      Delete
  2. That shared section is really the Oxford, because that's what it was to begin with. Then the GU acquired the rights and updated the section, which is why is has typical GU concrete edging etc.
    One of my favourite canal quirks concerns this section. If you travel from Braunston to Napton, you're going north if you're using the GU (because you're on your way from London the Birmingham), but south if you're using the Oxford (because you're on the route from Rugby to Oxford).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David said he hoped someone would clarify this so thank you very much Adam!

      Delete
  3. Thanks Lisa, what a coincidence we’ve never been to Woolacombe so hopefully will be good. We always take wetsuits so no problems there. I’ll look out for the cafe though confess I’m no curry lover! Would you believe we also wanted a hot tub but could find nothing in Woolacombe so we’re a few miles out which is shame as we like to ditch the car when we’re on holiday and walk everywhere.
    Cheers
    Ade

    ReplyDelete